Wage Claim Form Information & Instructions

The Wage Claim form must be completed with the necessary details to support your claim.  If your claim does not have the total unpaid wages, a completed wage claim, social security number and signature, it will be returned.  

Wage Claim Process

After your wage claim is received and accepted, we will ask the employer for information.  We may contact you for additional information.  When the investigation is complete, we will determine whether your claim is enforceable.  If the claim is enforceable, we will inform the employer.  If necessary we will take the wage claim to small claims court and then attempt to collect on the judgement.


You are only entitled to vacation pay if it is due under a policy or agreement with the employer.

Health benefits, profit sharing or pension plans

If your claim is for health benefits, profit sharing or pension plans, contact the U.S. Department of Labor at www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa or 866-444-3272.


If your claim is for failure to pay overtime contact the U.S. Department of Labor at www.dol.gov/whd or 515-284-4625.

Rejected Claims

We cannot accept a claim if:

  • the amount of money owed to you exceeds $6,500.00
  • the work was not done in Iowa
  • the work was done more than one year ago

If you are paid any or all of your wages from your employer after you have submitted your wage claim, notify the Iowa Division of Labor within three days of payment.  

Submit a completed wage claim and wage claim worksheet along with supporting documents (pay check stubs, employer policy, timesheets, etc.).

By submitting a claim for wages, you grant exclusive control of your wage claim to the assigned investigator.